Thursday, August 6, 2015

Volunteer Reflections: Katrina

Greetings, Starfish supporters! This summer we are especially excited to share the reflections of our current cohort of Starfish interns, who are supporting us in our social media and fundraising projects. Today's post comes from Katrina, who is a member of our Summer 2015 Social Media Team. She posts about our many friend organizations!

I am a 12th grade student who attends a high school with almost 1600 students; is a part of the National Honors Society, Student Government, Key Club, and more; receives a free public education in a suburban area with the dream and possibility of attending a four-year university; and comes from a family with two college-graduate parents and a 7th grade sister receiving the same education I am receiving. I share the same opportunities with many middle-class American students and, sometimes, we do not realize how lucky we are to have these opportunities available to us. 

The Starfish Foundation is one that I am very interested in, simply because of its motivation to benefit underprivileged youth in Ecuador so that they can achieve their very best. Its goals, plans, and achievements of providing for those that cannot provide for themselves have really opened up my eyes to realize how lucky I am that I have what I have. Many students at my school, myself included, take for granted the daily routine of waking up, riding a bus or walking to school, having teachers to say good morning to, attending first block and then second block, eating lunch in the cafeteria for 30 minutes where plenty of food is provided, attending third block and then fourth block, and then taking a bus or walking home from school. 

As a high school student, I always hear the same old “Ugh, why do we have to go to school tomorrow?” or the “Homework is so stupid--what is even the point?” or my personal favorite, “It’s so not fair she gave me a C on a test with things that she didn’t even teach us!” Here, we have been attending school for twelve years and, in the midst of all the standardized tests, the numbers of scores, the pressure of sports and clubs, and the concern of the letters on our report cards, we have forgotten how lucky we are to have all of those things to worry about every day. My wonderful opportunity to serve as an intern at the Starfish Foundation provides me with a greater insight of issues and circumstances worldwide, and has truly made me more grateful for the everyday things I have access to instantaneously. I have been handed so much in my life and I am thankful for the opportunity Starfish has given me to give back. Thank you and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment