Thursday, May 9, 2013

Meet Maria - a new Starfish Scholar!

Meet Maria Belén - one of our newest additions to The Starfish Foundation in our Flor de Bastión neighborhood.



Though she is new to Starfish, Maria is already in her last year of high school.  She impressed us with her punctuality and also her excellent grades even through the most difficult years of high school.  Maria is 16 years old - today, May 9!  When she graduates high school this year, she wants to continue studying in the University so that she can become a doctor.  When asked to share her personal hero, she said she has two - her mom and her dad  - because from them she has learned and will continue to learn how to be a beautiful and strong woman.  The best advice they gave her - even if she falls down many times, she has to get back up again even more times.  Last year her father passed away unexpectedly just as school was starting, but she continues to be strong in the face of hard times, being true to the lessons of resiliency and responsibility that he taught her.  In her free time, Maria likes to work on various projects with her mom, prepare food, read, and play with her friends.


Maria, helping organize some of our new school supplies for this school year!

Maria did some exciting things over her school break and shares them with us here in her own words.

"During my Vacation"

I was in a swimming class where I had a great time with my friends - one that I already knew and other new friends that I made.  I learned a lot, I lost my fear of diving.  Not being scared anymore is great especially since I worked so hard.  I even surprised myself because I was able to do things that I never thought I'd be able to do.  It fills me with happiness and enthusiasm because now when someone asks me if I know how to swim, I respond yes.  It's a great and entertaining sport.

I was also finally baptized, and that has changed me.  Now I feel at peace with myself and with God.  I feel happy with a new and renewed life.  I like this.

I've also done a lot of other things like visit my uncles and aunts, and spend time with friends and family.


Maria introducing to another Starfish Scholar, Argenis, during an icebreaker at our April meeting!

"En mis vacaciones"

Estuve en un curso de natación en el cuál la pasé muy bien junto con amigas, una que ya conocía y otras que hice.  Aprendí mucho, perdí el miedo de un clavado desde el borde de la piscina.  Perder el miedo fue genial ya que aprendí y di todo de mí hasta me sorprendí porque logré cosas que jamás creí hacer.  Eso me llena de alegría y entusiasmo porque ahora que me pregunten que si sé nadar, respondo que sí.  Es un deporte genial y entretenido.  

También fue mi bautizo, que lo pude realizar al fin y eso me ha cambiado.  Ahora estoy en paz conmigo y sobre todo con Papá Dios.  Me siento feliz con una vida nueva, renovada.  Eso me gusta.  

También he hecho muchas cosas más como ir de visita a la casa de mis tios, visitar a mi tía, y compartir con amigos y familia.



No comments:

Post a Comment