Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Continuing the Photo Projects


Today was a very interesting day. Walking outside the gate from our friends house I realized with Martin how I used to waste dimes like they weren’t any value at all. Don’t get me wrong- I used to collect coins, but I would also see one on the floor and just kick it or throw it. I never could have imagined someone else desperately needing that money to get to work or to school. It is just way different. 

We took the 2 bus all the way to Flor de Bastion and then took a motor taxi up to the houses. We got there a little early so we just hung out discussing what we should do today. Lily and Christian were the first to arrive and they were so excited to see us. We showed them the new Uno spin game so they could read the instructions and explain to all the other kids for us. I asked Lily how she had done on our test and she said she got 18/20. We started to play the new Uno game while everyone else was getting there. 

We asked if anyone wanted to take photos and Arelisa was the first to start. She had gone back inside for a while and me and Christian were playing when I realized that Martin and Argenisis were taking pictures. I grabbed Christian and took him with me to go find them. It was a good thing I did because that is when they both fed off each other’s energies and were really excited. While I watched them take photos I asked Martin if we should be taking pictures of them using cameras for the first time. We agreed that it would be a good idea and people would like to see the excitement in their faces. 

--July  17, 2012


It was probably the most fun I have had at Mi Cometa today. When we got there no kids were waiting for us so I was thinking that the kids weren’t coming again today. Martin started calling the families and Esteve was the first to show up. I was glad he showed up because he started helping Martin with calling all the other kids. They worked together and got through pretty much everyone. 

We let Joel, Marlon and Melany roam free to take pictures. The kids seemed to like the project and were very energetic. We even had them doing some poses in a circle and I took the photo of them to show them examples of being out of the ordinary with pictures. They definitely got the idea so I hope they will be able to excel in the program. Martin took a picture of Dianna with her friends because she lives so far it is hard for her to get to Mi Cometa. The girls and Geovanny showed up after so we were playing with all the kids. We gave Dianna one of the disposable cameras and told her to take around 15 pictures. We played soccer with the kids, taught the girls games and were all hanging out having an awesome time. This was the best time at Mi Cometa so far- it was great. 

--July  18, 2012


Today when we got to Flor de Bastion, Martin gave Samantha a camera so she could take some pictures of the kids and family. She took a lot of photos of the new born baby and the younger girls. While she did that we met Christian’s mom for the first time. She was very nice, inviting us into her home like if we were family. 

Martin, Lily, and Christian were all thinking of ideas to put on small pieces of paper so we could all play charades. We filled up a whole bowl of papers front and back. Martin explained to the kids and parents how to play and he went first. Everyone understood the game after Martin went with the occasional reminder that you can’t talk. Samantha has picked “Godzilla” but she wasn’t sure what it was so acted something else out. She asked me what it was after so I did my best to explain to her. I asked if she knew what a lizard was but she didn’t understand me so I started acting it out a little. Finally I said a dragon and she understood that so I kept going with it. I just said to her in Spanish a green dragon but with no wings. The whole family participated in playing and mostly everyone acted. The family had a lot of fun playing charades with us I was glad. 

Afterwards we went outside and we were playing volleyball with Christian’s soccer ball. Eventually a bunch of the local kids just walked up so we asked all of them if they wanted to play. We had a whole game going with about six players just keeping the ball up. All the kids had a lot of fun and the girls got some pretty good pictures of us. After a while of playing volleyball, Christian called us to his aunt’s house where his mother and aunt had made us some food. They gave us a mountain of rice that filled me up so much. The food was really good and we appreciated them cooking for us. They had just got a new motorcycle so we took pictures of the kids on the motorcycle. We had to leave after taking a few more photos and bid everyone a farewell.
 --July  19, 2012

Martin with some Starfish Scholars in Guasmo.





No comments:

Post a Comment